Monday, September 21, 2009

I keep seeing new dolls that I like.

One of the women in the local doll group ordered a Shiwoo on Friday night after the mini-meet. Maybe I will add one to my wish list for next year or the year after that. I love that elfin face! I also like those 4” tall PukiPuki’s. But I’m not sure it’s wise for me to spend that much money on a doll so easily buried under an avalanche of stuff.

I’ve begun work on another skirt. I used the centimeter graph paper which I downloaded a few weeks ago to draft the pattern, then traced 14 skirt panel pieces onto freezer paper and also drafted the hem facing. And then I disemboweled two silk neckties. I need to gently press the silk flat and fuse the freezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric, to stabilize those long bias edges.

I plan on stitching the skirt together by hand and possibly stabilizing the seams with crazy-quilt embroidery. I bought the sewing silk on Thursday night and have all that embroidery floss neatly catalogued in my studio. I also have half a card of peach bias tape leftover from Firstborn’s wedding; it will do nicely for the channel to hold the elastic at the waist, and I even have some elastic in my stash! [I hope it is not too old to be useful.]

The yarn with which I began the baby socks for the Bittiest member of the tribe, is mostly blacks and browns and burgundies but has the same rose-tones as the neckties. I won’t have enough for a full sweater, but I can do a cropped vest or tabard, and I think I saw some silk duppioni at JoAnn’s that is the right shade of silver [and not too heavy] for a blouse.

No comments: